Thursday 18 June 2009

One year on ...

Today is the first anniversary of my diagnosis (see MS History - part two).

Health professional bodycount so far.

Starting with the first GP visit last year, the bodycount is as follows
  • GPs 4
  • Practice Nurses 2
  • MS nurse 1
  • Ward nurse 1
  • Occupational Health nurse 1
  • Phlebotomists 6 (estimate)
  • Physiotherapists 1
  • Neurologists 5
  • Neuro-psychologists 2
  • Radiologists 4
If you consider the medication as well, I have probably cost the NHS more money over the last year than some of it's employees.

Symptom recap:

Current symptoms:
  • mild optic neuritis (since Jan '09)
  • doublevision / nystagmus / intra-nuclear opthalmoplegia / oscillopsia
  • fatigue
  • tingling / pins and needles
  • neuropathic pain in legs

Symtoms that have cleared up for now:

  • L'Hermitte's sign
  • vertigo
  • muscle weakness
  • involuntary muscle movement
Of the current symptoms, the fatigue and optic neuritis aren't quite as acute as they were at first onset, so I feel much better, relatively, than I did last year. I think it is important to stress that I still have bad days, though (I nearly fell asleep in a meeting yesterday). Things are also helped by friendlier medication.

1 comment:

  1. I wonder sometimes just how much my MS has cost since diagnoses in 1987? I'd like to have that money in my pocket, I know that much!

    ReplyDelete