Friday 2 January 2009

My MS History - Part Two

See Part One for the story so far

It was a brain tumour - it had to be. How else could it be explained? The GP said no heavy lifting, so maybe there was an outside chance of it being an enlarged blood vessel, ready to haemorrhage at any second.

Everyone has something they are frightened of. Something so unimaginably horrific they never want to confront the possibility of it ever happening. For me, it has always been either the unlikely scenario of being trapped in an enclosed space deep underground, or an inoperable brain tumour, growing insidiously and without mercy deep within the white matter. I had lost my mother to cancer just two years previously, so I was well aware of how quickly it could escalate.

OK, so tumour or blood vessel.... something to think about as I lugged the heavy suitcases and baby paraphenalia into the car for our Cornish holiday. People were being positive, telling me it might be a trapped nerve, but how could it be a trapped nerve if it was affecting both my eyesight and my hands and feet? What if the vertigo I had over the last few years was something to do with it, as well?

I had a look in the Family Health Encyclopedia... Hmmm... Brain... Disorders of the brain... Brain tumour...

Possible symptoms...
Headaches - I had a headache yesterday, so check!...
Doublevision - Check!...
Sensory impairment - Check!...
Balance problems - Check!...
Memory problems - yeah, I've been a bit forgetful lately, so check!

Let's cut to the chase...

Life expectancy, six months!...

Shit!

I asked my wife to make sure that she took plenty of photographs of me and the kids over the coming week. She rightly replied with the advice to get a grip and until we knew what it was it could be anything.

As an eternal optimist, I wasn't completely convinced that this was my last ever holiday with my family, but the possibility did weigh heavily on my mind. Despite this, it didn't ruin the week. Every morning I checked to see if the doublevision was still there and it was. I pressed my fingers together to see if they felt pins and needly still and they did. I watched my calf muscles roll around and twitch under their own steam. But the fact I had other stuff to think about and plan for and had places to go occupied my mind somewhat.

When I came home and found a letter from the hospital, booking me in for a CT Scan the previous week, everything came crashing back. A sleepless night followed and continuing the line of reasoning that I needed to keep busy to stave everything off - I headed to work.

A colleague asked if I'd had a good holiday.

I burst into tears.

On the end of the phone, the hospital asked if I could come in for the scan that very morning. When the NHS moves fast, you know it's serious. I made the 20 mile trip from work, getting changed and picking up my wife on the way.

Up in the CT Scanner ("Like sticking your head in a washing machine") I screwed up my eyes, trying not to think about the rays entering my skull and unlocking the horrors within. I also avoided the picture of cherry blossom on the ceiling of the scan room, strategically placed to calm the nerves.

Afterwards, I phoned my regular GP - Dr N - and he took the time to reassure me that it could indeed be anything, not just the worst-case scenario, and I could have something to help me sleep if I needed it.

This was the Monday, I had a follow up appointment on the Friday. In the meantime, I told myself that they would rush me in sooner if it was life threatening and that no news was good news...

part 3 >

No comments:

Post a Comment