Thursday 12 March 2009

DeViL'sArse

I'm not in the habit of complaining, and I don't want to be the sort of person who does, but the Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency (DVLA) have seen fit to part me from my driving license.

Apparently multiple sclerosis falls into a category of degenerative medical conditions whereby I can only be issued with a short-term (three year) license. When this runs out I will be sent a "computer generated form" and asked to re-apply. I only hope it doesn't result in the hopeless correspondence I have experienced with the DVLA so far, which has involved all sorts of irrelevant questioning on their part and needless reiteration on mine.

The definition of discrimination includes "Treatment or consideration based on class or category rather than individual merit" (source: Wiktionary), which is surely what this is, because apart from the DVLA's decision, I am legally obliged (along with the rest of the population) to inform them of any deterioration in my health anyway.

I have sent my license off to Swansea, before they officially revoke it. I can appeal if I want, but if I did it would be on behalf of people in the UK with MS rather than on my own individual circumstance. I have checked out the Disability Discrimination Act (the legal eagle that I am!) and there appears to be a clause whereby this sort of thing is allowed if an Act of Parliament requires it, so it's set in law. In this case, I think the law is the DeViL'sA**e

2 comments:

  1. Hi Dave,

    Sorry to hear of your bother with the DVLA they do seem to be arses.

    Take care,
    Love,
    Herrad

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh great. Something to look forward to. Idiots. The flip side, from what I hear, is that it's also an absolute sod to get a blue badge too (should you be unlucky enough to need one any day soon).

    ReplyDelete