Friday 24 April 2009

Drug experiments

It's official, I have been told by my GP that I can experiment with drugs.

Well, actually, no. I have been given the go ahead to increase the dosage of the amitriptyline to try and weigh up the pros of pain relief and the cons of the drowsy side-effects.

The side-effects are something I have yet to experience, or if I have, they have become lost in my general background dopeyness.

The pros are that the pain I had been experiencing seems to have abated slightly - occuring later or only if I have had a strenuous day. Not a daily occurence like before. And if I forget to take my tablets for a day or two (like the night before last) I start to get a bit fuzzier round the edges, the shooting pain will start in my fingertips and the squeezing sensation will start in my calves.

Starting last night, I doubled the dosage.

The difficulty is - if it seems to work, is it the drugs doing the work, or is it the crazy unpredictable roller-coaster of MS giving me some time off before it turns on me with a snarl?

It is around this time of year that I have experienced my most debilitating relapses. Hopefully this year, the terrorist cell lurking in my body will notice the beta interferon in my system and decide it isn't worth the bother. This year, I will also be on the look-out, so I should be able to get some treatment when I need it.

No comments:

Post a Comment